I'm at work right now, sitting at my computer (obviously) and am compelled to relay a conversation that I'm listening to right now. There is a young pregnant woman in here shopping for maternity clothes. Unfortunately for her, her mother decided to come along.
The woman has pulled about 20 pieces from my racks to try on and she is now in the dressing room. Her mother needed a chair to sit down, so Beth gave her my office chair and placed it in front of the dressing rooms.
While trying on a dress, she yelled to her mom that it makes her look big. The mom replied, "Honey, you are big!" "Mom, I am not big. Jason says I'm not big."
Beth and Shelley and I assume that Jason is the boyfriend/husband (you never can tell around here).
She put on the next shirt and said, "Mom, it's making me look fat."
"Baby, I told you, everything's gonna make you look fat cuz you ARE fat."
"Noooooo, I'm not fat, it's just that I'm pregnant!"
She came out of the room wearing the shirt and said, "Is it too tight for my boobs?"
"Everything is too tight for your boobs."
So next she tried some pants. She told her mom that she liked how the pants looked. The mom said to make sure the pants weren't too tight. So she came out wearing the pants and the mom said, "Honey, maybe you should just make your own pants, that way you can make them plenty big for your fat legs."
"I just want to find some clothes that aren't too tight and that don't make me look big!"
"You are going to look big in everything. It's nature, the way God intended it. Get over it."
The poor girl has just now chosen the clothes she likes. She brought them up to the register and while Beth was ringing them up, the mom was still trying to talk her out of them because she was a huge girl and all the clothes made her look like she was really fat, not just pregnant.
I'm so thankful that my mom will never do that to me when I get pregnant and huge.
8 comments:
i had an almost-as-pleasant experience while shopping at Motherhood yesterday... a snooty pregnant woman and her equally snooty friends complaining not only about how hideous ALL maternity clothes are, but also this pregnant girl complaining that no one made maternity clothes that fit her because she's "just so thin and fit" that it all drapes on her and pestering the sales lady about how they really should have extra small sizes for thin pregnant women like her. ugh.
Annie IS thin and pregnant. And don't worry sis, when you're pregnant, I'll give you the same treatment that I demand from Dave and kids when I've been pregnant, which is that they routinely tell me I'm a "tiny little Mommy".
haha...blacklist the mom. ;)
Hi CJ,
Seems like a good time to warn you that your most,uh, affirming moments, may come when you have older kids and are pregnant. I remember the later months of one or two pregnancies when my older boys took to answering me with "Yes, Mammoth." And I let them do it because it was really was funny.
Mammoth? That's almost as bad as some unnamed husband offering to wall paper the nursery using the flower print maternity dress being worn by an unnamed expectant mother of (at the time) 3 girls. Who would have done such a thing? Glad I never uttered the words, "Big Pants".
Papa, I know who you are talking about!!! Because She mentioned when I was pregnant with Rowan that a shirt I had on was the same color scheme as the 'wallpaper' outfit she had.
Dave is thinking about suing Dad over that last comment.
Dave can't sue me...I'm broke from buying wall paper.
Post a Comment