11/6/07

Only at the Warren House

Scenes from today that made us laugh really hard.

{Tim and I are at the house, everybody else is gone. I'm getting ready to leave}

Me: Tim, I'm leaving to go pick up the kids so you'll be here alone for a little while. Will you be ok?
Tim: Yes, Sis, I'll be okay. This will be the fifth time I've been home alone.
Me: Good, I'm glad you're counting. Remember, don't answer the phone unless it's family and do---
Tim: I know, I know, don't answer the door unless it's someone from church.
Me: And call Aubrey or me if you need anything or if something bad happens. Do you know our phone numbers?
Tim: Yes, I know them. But don't worry Sis, I won't need to call you or Aubrey while you're gone. Because if someone bad comes in the house, I can take care of it and I won't need to call you. You know why? Because I have a gold belt in Tae Kwon Do.


{At a restaurant, eating dinner this evening}

Nate: Dad, do you think God loves the non-elect?
Dad: Well, that's a very good question and I think we could have some good discussion about that.
Nate: I mean, God said he loved Jacob and hated Esau, so does that mean he hates everyone who's not saved?
Me: Even if we were to say "yes" or "no" to that question, I don't think our human understanding of the words "love" and "hatred" can fully define the way---
Shelley: Well, here's what I think. I think that if God chose us before the foundation of the world-- [furrows brow] I totally forgot what I was going to say. [scratches head] Man, and I had something really good to say!
Mom: You're getting blonder every day, honey.


{Tonight, right before Mom went to bed}

Dad: Okay kids, everybody come in here for prayer time!
[All of us run into Dad and Mom's room and gather on or around their bed]
Dad: Our main prayer tonight is obviously for Mom's surgery tomorrow. It's not the most major surgery in the world, but still, it's surgery.
Mom: Right John, not major?! They're putting a dead guy's bone inside my leg!
Nate: Mom you should be happy. That guy's memory will live on inside of you!
Dad: Yeah, like when they do the eye transplants and people start seeing visions of what the dead guy saw!
Beth: Or heart transplants where every once in a while the heart will skip a beat or they'll have an emotional feeling if they're around something that relates to the dead guy.
Caleb: Mom, this pretty much means you're going to start walking like that dead guy.
Nate: Yep, pretty soon, someone's going to come up to you and say, "You walk just like someone I used to know!"
Mom: Okay, can we pray already??!!

9 comments:

T2Irish said...

CJ, I'm ROFL right now. Especially at the last scene. Plus, it answers my question of whether your mom is home safely and prepped and off to dreamland before surgery. How YOU doin'?

Kristen said...

Oh I miss being part of those deep, meaningful conversations. Glad they are still happening.

Tami said...

LOL!

dirksgirl said...

ROFL!!

Anne said...

tell suze not to worry - she won't always be this misunderstood.

Kristen said...

Really? She won't? You have more hope for her future than I do.

shelley said...

^^You make me feel so good.

Kristen said...

Oh Suz -- you know its all said w/ love. Maybe I wouldn't tease you so much if you'd COME VISIT!!!

Kim said...

That's great! Kristen, I'm glad to know that I'm not the only one that bugs my sisters to come and see me! Shelley....just wait until the day that (after you're married) you're pregnant/postpartum/sleep deprived! Then you'll REALLY sound intelligent :-)