The horrors of Intro to Psych.
Ok, I've always been interested in psychology. Before I went into the nursing program, I was going to major in psych. Even after I chose to go the nursing route, I wanted to take several psych classes, thinking it would help me as a nurse. My dad always asks, "I wonder why people aren't more like us...?" That's a good psychology question. Anyway, I'm taking intro to psych (yes, again. please don't laugh at me.) and I thought I'd share a few of the things that make it my "furthest class" which in WarrenSpeak means, the worst.
Instead of grading by traditional methods, my professor is grading all of us on a point system. 350 possible points for the entire semester (kind of like basketball?) and we better start racking them up.
We all STARTED the semester with 70 points, which I guess is about 20% of the total grade. If we want to KEEP these points in our grade, by the end of the semester, all 40 students have to still be registered in the class and having a passing grade. If 95% of the students are still in by May, we get 60 points and so on. The prof says that this is his way of getting us to try to keep our classmates in the class instead of dropping. So far, we all have 7 of the points left, and I currently have a D in the class.
Is it just me or should I not be responsible for my own work and attendance instead of everyone else's?
Our homework this week was to watch the premier of the new game show, "The Moment of Truth" on Fox. It's all a load of you-know-what where they allegedly hook up the contestant to a polygraph and make them answer grotesquely personal questions. If they answer "truthfully" they win so much money.
In class on Monday, we will be given a quiz about the show so he can be sure we watched it.
The really funny thing about the class is that all of our grades get posted on the wall of the classroom for everyone to see. So I can see everyone else's grade and they can see mine. Isn't that special? At least we're all failing right now because so many people have dropped out, so it's not a big deal to see all of our names and then a row of D's.
Oh, and another thing. You know how in normal psych classes you learn about the mind and behaviors and perceptions and emotions and disorders and whatnot? We're not doing any of that. We're only learning about "positive psychology." Now, I have no problem talking about hope, love, friendships, and happiness. But is that really what you pay for when you register for a psychology class?
And the class objective, as stated in the syllabus. "To learn what truth is, and what truth is not."
Seriously.
1/25/08
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
2 comments:
Now you know why after all these years of plodding away at the PhD I'm a little turned off by the whole teaching thing. I don't WANT to be one of THESE teachers!!!
uh............HA!
bummer, dude.
my intro to philosophy class syllabus said "to teach one how to think..."
perhaps between the two of us (learning what truth is and how to think about it) we'll have some sort of intellect. :P i love you :)
Post a Comment