2/11/08

negative zero

I was thinking today about how much my life has changed in a relatively short time. Actually, I think about that alot so it's really no surprise. But today, instead of focusing on the last 3 years, I was really only thinking about the last 6 months. 6 months ago I was working more than fulltime, was never home, stressed beyond belief, fighting pain every minute of every day and usually losing, and just felt like I was going nowhere. Since I quit my job, I've had way more time at home, plenty of time with my family and church family, started school again which was a major feat, started playing my piano again which was just a matter of confidence, I get to help alot of the families in our church who need me, my sisters and I are directing another church musical, still fight pain every minute of every day but I'm winning more often, oh, and I turned 21. Even though my busy-ness level hasn't really changed since the fall, I am not stressed out anymore and actually feel like I have more time. Maybe because I'm actually in control of my schedule and the things I decide to do. And, my blood pressure has decreased by 35% since I quit working. Yeah. Stress has just fallen off.

We leave on Friday for WholeHearted Mother in Dallas! Why, you ask, and I going to a mother's conference? Hm...I guess you haven't been reading my blog for very long. I go *every* year to watch the tiny babies so the moms who are still nursing can attend. This year I have 6 babies and will have 2 or 3 other girls to help me this time. I love babies and it's always nice to get away and spend a weekend in a hotel. It's a good time to get homework done too, when the babies are napping. This year I'm rooming with Stephanie and Tiffany which means our room is going to be the FUN room! Everyone will be jealous of how cool we are.

Funny story from school today: In my algebra class, the prof wrote a problem up on the board that looked pretty complex because of how many numbers were involved. It was something about multiplying around 17 numbers together and dividing it by another 13 numbers multiplied. Hidden in the first set was a zero, so I automatically knew that I didn't have to work out the problem. No one else seemed to catch on and it took everyone about 8 minutes to frantically figure out the answer. So as I'm sitting there waiting, the girl next to me leans over and says, "Did you get zero for part of your first answer?" I told her that it was my whole answer. She said, "Yeah, I know it's zero, but is that negative zero or positive zero?" All I could say was, "Ummm..." which I guess she interpreted as confusion. She confidently whispered, "Just put negative zero, I'm sure that's the answer." I could not respond.

I am currently trying to write a paper for my psychology class on "hope." It's supposed to be 10 pages and I'm just not very happy about it. He said to make it personal, but because that topic is SO personal to me, I don't think I can make it personal without it being TMI. Our friend Trish gave me some good ideas which I've already started working on, but still...I wish I could have gotten a neutral topic like...I don't know.
Well, I guess I'll go start writing instead of complaining about writing.

2 comments:

Caleb said...

In my experience there were three types of people who went to community college.

1. The people who got kicked out of a university because they were too stupid and too drunk to pass their classes.

2. Middle aged liberal women who have decided to go back to school, yet don't realize it is uncouth to remind the professor that he needs to assign or collect homework.

3. Homeschoolers who, whether they realize it or not, weren't ready to be thrown into the realities of a university.

When I was in community college I was part of the "3" group, and while we had plenty of the "1" group, classes were still dominated by the "2" group, women who I became convinced were God's special curse on mankind. Now, after reading your blog, I'm not so sure about that...

Teresa said...

Negative zero...LOL!!! I'm going to have to remember that one!