Lately I've been giving 3-sentence updates about everything going on and it's been awhile since I've posted details about much of anything. Some of it's because I'm lazy and/or rushed and don't want to take the time to spell it all out, and the other reason is because if I'm talking about anything even slightly emotional or hard, listing the details puts me into self-pity mode, which we all know is bad news. On the other hand, most of the people who read this blog come here not because I'm a great writer (God must have forgotten to give me that talent), but because they want specific updates.
Here's the thing, though. I don't want to sound depressed, because I'm not. I don't want to sound hopeless, because there is Hope. I don't want to sound angry, because (most of the time) I'm not.
If I try to scoot away from coming across as bitter and morose, I don't want you to think I have it all together either. I don't want you to think I'm always happy and care-free, or that I'm unemotional and can't feel anything (though that would be nice). I'm no fighter, but I'm fighting. Lovers of Patty Griffin should appreciate that last line. Ok, updates....
I think I'm currently at a stand-still with my doctors. I can't figure them out. They all think I'm fascinating, which you'd think would make them want to put their heads together and come up with a game plan. Instead, I'm pretty sure they're content to point and stare and parade their residents in and out to look at me. I got the low-down from one resident I met for the first time a few weeks ago:
Me-- Hi, I'm Cathryn.
Dr--Haha, you don't have to introduce yourself, I know who you are. You're a legend around here, you know.
Me--I don't even want to know if that's a good thing or a bad thing.
Dr--Yeah, I've only been here for a couple of months, but they're all talking about you.
Me--Oh that's good, so they're talking about treatment options?
Dr--Oh no, they're just talking about you.
---------------------------------------------------------------
The diagnosis is still Chiari. Curious as to why no one will talk to me about fixing it, I did some researching. I've figured out that basically the only known fix is brain surgery. And since most of us know what happened to Jeremiah when he had that surgery, it's not an option.
I have another set of MRIs coming up where they will look more specifically at the bottom half of my brain. I recently had a 3hour long test of my optic nerves. The good news is, the nerves haven't been damaged, they're being sat on by my brain. That means if my brain goes back to normal, those nerves should be unharmed. Which means I'll still be able to see and hear.
My neurologist thinks that exercising (which hurts like nothing else) and steroids will help. My anesthesiologist thinks that narcotics are going to be my best friends for the rest of my life. My unfortunate psychologist thinks I need to think more positively and smile more often. The docs in ENT, of all places, think that I'm way too young to settle for drugs for the rest of my life and they want to find a way to fix the actual problem. Shocking, I know.
Those are the facts.
Here's the honesty.
I'm really tired. I feel like I'm 90 years old and like I'll never feel good again. The pain has gotten much worse in the last 2 weeks and it's wearing me down. When I hear that there's no alternative to brain surgery, I get panicky. I start freaking out that it's never going to go away and there's no way I can handle this forever.
That lasts for about two days and then somebody will be around to wake me up and wind me down. It's usually Dad, and then other times it's Mom or one of my sisters. Sometimes it's Dirk's sermon or one of the amazing people at COG. The most recent attack of panic was calmed by some dear friends who have been in our lives since before I was born. You can go to Mom's blog to read more about their visit. I didn't grow up around them (though I wish I had) so I don't really know them all that well. But I love them like I love my own grandparents because I know how much they mean to my parents and A-team. Several times during their weekend visit they came up to me and would just lovingly remind me to not give up and to try to visualize just how many people around the country are praying for me and what an honor that is. That really put things back into perspective for me and helped me breathe again.
I may have said this before, but this always comes to mind when I think about all the people who are committed to praying for us. This is an uphill battle and sometimes when my family and I think we can go no further, the Lord reminds us that we have hundreds of people holding us up in prayer. It always reminds me of when the Israelites were fighting a war and God told Moses that as long as he kept his arms raised, they would be winning. If he let his arms down, the enemy would take over. Just when Moses was getting too tired to hold his arms up anymore, two of his friends came up beside him and held his arms high in the air until the Israelites had defeated the enemy.
So thanks to all the great people in my life, I'm back to (as one of the above docs suggests) thinking positively and smiling more. I have much to smile about, so I try to keep those things in mind. The world isn't falling apart, and God is still God. Now that's something to smile about.
6/13/07
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
10 comments:
CJ, I can't tell you how much your life blesses me even when it's making me cry. There are no words to tell you how much I wish I could take it away for you and let you live the kind of life you thought you'd have. Our prayers continue that there will be an answer and an end to the nightmare of the past two years. At least we do have the certainty that God has shaped you through this and will keep shaping you into not just an amazing woman, but the very likeness of Christ.
I love you.
Hey Ceej,
Like your mom said, you inspire in laughter and tears. I'm moved to offer two more things to think about with the story of Moses. 1)He wasn't just holding up his arms, he was holding up his staff - the staff that he'd held at the parting of the Red Sea, and at/for many other God-given purposes. You hold the staff of your life, your own God-given purpose, above your head...and while you are committed, as Moses was, you grow tired. So,
2) Like Moses, you allow others to bring you a stone so you can sit. This takes great humility, as it did for Moses. It exemplifies vulnerability in the midst of power and strength. It also does one more important thing: by sitting, you allow us to help you in ways not above our means, because that staff is now at our "arm level." Because we do not have to raise our arms,we WILL NOT tire in helping you keep the staff aloft.
You may not wish for the staff that you hold to be aloft for so long - directing people like me to a better life - but I thank you for both holding on, and for letting go.
{sorry so long!}
My sweet little sister, I know how much you hate adulation, but my heart needs to tell you how much I need you in my life. Wish I was closer, but I'm always your sister, ready for you anytime, for whatever, or for nothing at all. And never forget, when you are weak, then you are strong.
Hey CJ,
Honestly, I really don't know what to say. I know what you're going through is difficult and don't want to leave a sad note. Yet, leaving a happy comment all the time would seem wrong. Just know that I continue to pray for you and think you sooo need a vacation! LOL...love you!
By the way, it was great talking to ya today-hope you and Beth had a nice evening together!
You are continually held up in our prayers. I am brought to tears constantly and feel such pain for you each day as I am reminded practically hourly just what you have to go through.
I also am heavy hearted for your family as they struggle watching you gracefully succumb to His plan for you in this journey. Whatever you need, call on us please!
I still believe we're one day closer than we were yesterday.
I love you, Sis. I wish we got to talk more (even though I see youe very weekend). I'm hugging you right now! :)
err...got to talk more during the year i mean, and GET to talk more this summer! :)
Hello my Sister in Suffering,
I hate that anyone, especially you, have to join me in this horrible journey of pain. No words can comfort or stop the pain ... I know carrying this weight can be very difficult and sometimes seems impossible. But I want to share some of my thoughts with you. I take comfort in knowing that when the Lord heals me that it will be an undeniable miracle. Each one of God's blessings are so precious and so mean so much more now. The pain keeps me humble; when the Lord is ready to take me home ... trust me I will be ready. I cannot answer why this has happened to you, but I believe I carry this burden because it keeps me focused on Him. When the guy on the road cuts us off, it just doesn't seem that bad anymore. When my brother hurts me because of his selfish nature, I pray that he finds the Lord. And when I hurt everyday, I call out and ask that this burden be lifted, but thank Him for strengthening my relationship with Him. You have a special place in my heart; there is not very many people in this world that can understand what pain truly is but you are one of them. At times I think it's unfair that someone so young carries this load, but I know that God has a plan for you.
Post a Comment