So many things going on...
Mom and I drove Nathan up to school today. Poor guy was so nervous, even though he didn't admit it. He was trying to find every excuse to stay home an hour longer and once we got him into his dorm, he tried to convince us that he needed to come back home, spend the night, and go back to school tomorrow. I don't see why...he has a very fancy dorm that really shouldn't even be called a dorm. We're not really sure how he weaseled his way into that building instead of the REAL freshman dorms, so he won't have anything to complain about to any of the other freshmen. We met one of his three roommates and he seemed pretty nice. Nate's still not so sure about him, so he's keeping his brand new bike in his closet instead of the bike rack outside. :)
Beth and I head to school tomorrow. Yes, Cathryn Warren is back in school after a 5-semester absence. I'm taking 5 classes, which is kind of scary, but I'm trying not to think about the scary part. Here are some cool things I've found out so far:
My ethics prof is a Christian. At a public school. How weird/exciting is that?
My A&P prof is the husband of one of the head nurses in charge of me at the hospital. Very cool. I'll probably get in good with him.
Because of losing so much brain function in the last 3 years, I was worried about things like math classes. So I (stupidly) went to the school to take the math entrance exam again, to see if I could score where I had last time. I didn't know that the score was binding and I got an ungodly low score, so they stuck me in a remedial class. Ha! I never thought I'd be in a remedial math class. Instead of crying about it, I'm totally laughing and am the first to make fun of myself when anyone brings it up. The good thing is that I probably won't have to work as hard as I would if I'd just taken the class above what I took last time.
My classes are all on Mon/Wed which means I get to "celebrate" all major holidays since they usually fall on a Monday.
Beth's classes are on the same days at the same times. So...if I'm having a bad day and really don't think I can get out of bed to go to school, she will be there to force me since I am her driver. No skipping class for me.
My ethics class in online, so I can say whatever I want about whatever I want and nobody can yell at me.
Since I am a little (no, alot) nervous about tomorrow and the whole semester, I was planning on posting all the things that are making me that nervous. But I didn't that would help me be any less nervous, so I posted cool things. Maybe that will help.
Actually, I will post a few things, and I will disguise them as prayer requests. Please pray for:
My ability to focus and concentrate during classes. This is a big struggle for me, mostly because of the drugs I am on. I usually feel like I'm not really in whatever situation I'm in, but instead I'm just looking down watching myself. I never really feel connected to what's going on. So, please pray that I would be "in the moment" while in class.
That I will comprehend everything I hear and see. As a result of major pain and drugs, it's very hard for me to understand what is being said or what I'm reading. I usually have to read something 5-10 times for it to mean anything other than Greek to me. Same with listening--with people I know well, basically family and church, I will ask them to repeat what they're saying 5-10 times before I understand what they're saying. With people I don't know very well, I'll usually just look at the faces of anyone around to gauge what kind of reaction I'm supposed to have to what was said. If that makes any sense... Anyway, it would be very helpful to know what the profs are saying.
That I will not get discouraged if I don't understand or can't do something that everyone else can do. I know I'll have to work twice as hard as I used to just to make a passing grade and I'm going to need reminders not to worry about it.
That I will have minimal pain and mental disfunction while at school so I won't have to take alot of meds.
That I will keep a good attitude and maintain a long-term perspective.
Thank you so much! I'll post tomorrow and let you know how everything went. :)
1/13/08
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
2 comments:
Praying for you CJ!! Know that the God of Wisdom will indeed by with you in all things. Enjoy the day!
You'll be swell! You'll be great! Gonna have the whole world on a plate! Ok, really I meant to say that I'm praying for the start to your year, and know that you can do it. Maybe Beth's awesome GPA will rub off ;-)
Post a Comment